Gordon House is sited on the south bank of the River Thames at the head of a large site, Richmond Lock, formerly in educational use as the headquarters of Brunel University Campus.
The house has a complex history, dating from the early 18th century. Robert Adam was commissioned to provide a grand ballroom and bedroom suite in 1759. In the 1860s, Lord Kilmorey remodelled the house with the addition of a clock tower, porch and new bays. During the 19th and 20th centuries the house was reconfigured for school use and later as Brunel University.
In 2008, Hub were invited by Octagon to assist them with restoring the house and ancillary buildings to a single dwelling. We were asked to provide an extension to accommodate a new ballroom, which could be converted into a swimming pool; a new entrance portico with Serlian Window; and to reconfigure the building to provide a suitable family home, integrating a specification that would meet the demands of London’s luxury residential market. A combination of careful historic research and technical coordination has created a highly desirable and well restored home.