This two-storey, double-fronted villa, built in an Italianate style, was constructed in 1862. Although not a listed building, it is a well-proportioned and intact detached house offering plenty of space for extended family living. In its original form, the house offered large rooms at ground floor level to the front, but the rear kitchen and utility areas were a dark warren of corridors and small rooms. A later Edwardian addition of a rapidly deteriorating ‘studio’ left the rear of the house compromised and unwelcoming.
Hub managed to gain Planning Approval to demolish the studio and to re-build the rear of the building with a large open plan kitchen and family room. In addition to this, the upgrading and extension of the existing basement with a lightwell will mean that there is plenty of room for naturally lit staff accommodation and gym facilities. Hub have also balanced the front elevation by adding a bay at first floor level which corrects a rather awkward asymmetry, and offers better internal circulation. Careful consideration of the front entrance and approach to the front door will greatly improve the aspect of the house with a more inviting series of entrance zones.
From the outset of the design process, Hub worked closely with the client to maximise the spatial potential of the building. The interior specification and wishes of the end users were continually considered and reassessed as the scheme emerged. By considering the interior design from the outset, the services and mechanical and electrical elements as well as the structural requirements have all been considered and will be seamlessly integrated to ensure that the home meets the highest specification, without compromise to the original character and features of the house.